I am an Assistant Professor of Finance in the University of Colorado at Boulder's Leeds School of Business. My fields of specialization are Corporate Finance, Industrial Organization, Household Finance, and Applied Microeconomics. My corporate finance research investigates the determinants of entry, competition, investment, merger activity, and the real effects of finance. I also have an emerging interest in household finance, especially as it relates to gambling decisions and risky behavior. For more on my research (including published research and working papers), see my research section or my CV.
Updates (since January 2015)
- I am coordinating the CU-Boulder Finance Division Seminar series this academic year.
- I am teaching one section of undergraduate Investments and Portfolio Management, and one section of PhD-level Empirical Methods in Finance.
- My paper Law and Finance Matter was presented at the 2016 AFA meetings in San Francisco, CA.
- I discussed a paper, Decentralization and Growth in Bad Times (by Aghion, Bloom, Lucking, Sadun, and Van Reenen) at the 2016 ASSA meetings (slides).
- My paper Law and Finance Matter was (conditionally) accepted for publication at The Review of Financial Studies.
- I presented When Saving is Gambling at the Northern Finance Association Conference (Lake Louise, Alberta; Sep 18-20), at the University of Manitoba (Winnipeg, Manitoba; Nov 2), and at the 8th Annual FTC Microeconomics Conference (Washington, DC; Nov 12-13).
- I presented Endogenous Matching, Underwriter Reputation, and the Underpricing of IPOs at Cass Business School (London, England; Sep 30), at University of Ottawa (Ottawa, Canada; Nov 3), and at University of Maryland (College Park, MD; Nov 11).
- My paper Law and Finance Matter was awarded Best Paper in Financial Markets and Institutions at the 2015 Financial Management Association Conference in Orlando, Florida.
- My paper When Saving is Gambling was presented at the Financial Research Association Conference in Las Vegas, Nevada (Dec 12-13). An early idea The Anatomy of Financial Frictions was also presented by a co-author.
- A conference I co-organized, The Colorado Finance Summit, was held on December 16-18 in Vail, Colorado.
- I taught a section of Quantitative Methods (MSBC 5030) and a section of Managerial Economics (MSBC 5015) at University of Colorado - Boulder as part of our new MS in Finance program.
- My paper The Determinants of Bank Mergers was accepted for publication at Management Science.
- I presented When Saving is Gambling at the Israel Behavioral Finance Conference (Tel Aviv, Israel; May 19-20).
- I presented Law and Finance Matter at the 2015 FIRS Conference (Reykjavik, Iceland; May 24-27)
- I presented When Saving is Gambling at the Conference on Consumer Financial Decision Making (Boulder, CO; May 31-June 2).
- I presented Endogenous Matching, Underwriter Reputation, and the Underpricing of IPOs at the London Business School Summer Finance Symposium (London, England; June 15-16).
- My paper Law and Finance Matter was presented by a co-author at the 2015 Annual Banking Conference on Development Economics (ABCDE; Mexico City; June 15-16).
- My paper Law and Finance Matter was presented by a co-author at the San Francisco Fed Day Ahead Conference* (June 26).
- My paper Law and Finance Matter was presented by a co-author at the NBER Summer Institute on Development of the American Economy (July 6-9).
- I presented When Saving is Gambling at the NBER Summer Institute Workshop on Household Finance (Cambridge, MA; July 17-18).
- I presented When Saving is Gambling at the UBC Summer Conference (Vancouver, British Columbia; July 30-Aug 1), and at the Oregon Summer Conference (Eugene, Oregon; Aug 2-4).
- I presented When Saving is Gambling at the Helsinki Finance Summit (Helsinki, Finland; Aug 17-18), and at the European Finance Association Conference (Vienna, Austria; Aug 19-22).
- I taught one section of Investments and Portfolio Analysis (FNCE 4030) at University of Colorado - Boulder.
- I presented my paper Anticipated Entry and Entry Deterrence: Evidence from the American Casino Industry at the 2015 American Economic Association Conference in Boston, Mass. (January 3-5, 2015).
- I presented my paper When Saving is Gambling at Colorado State University on February 27th.
- My paper Does Law and Finance Matter? was presented (by a co-author) at the Midwest Finance Association in Chicago, IL (March 5-7, 2015).
- My paper When Saving is Gambling won The Talk of the Town Award for its presentation at at the Finance Down Under Conference in Melbourne, Australia (March 4-7, 2015).
- I presented my paper When Saving is Gambling at University of Nevada - Las Vegas on March 13th.