I am an Assistant Professor of Finance in the University of Colorado at Boulder's Leeds School of Business. My fields of specialization are Corporate Finance, Industrial Organization, Household Finance, and Applied Microeconomics. My corporate finance research investigates the determinants of entry, competition, investment, merger activity, and the real effects of finance. I also have an emerging interest in household finance, especially as it relates to gambling decisions and risky behavior. For more on my research (including published research and working papers), see my research section or my CV.
Updates (since Summer 2015)
Upcoming Presentations. (* indicates co-author presentation)
Why Don't We Agree? Evidence from a Social Network of Investors. IDC Summer Conference* (Tel Aviv, July); Helsinki Finance Summit (Helsinki, August 15-16), Financial Management Association (Las Vegas, October)
A Text-Based Analysis of Corporate Innovation. Iowa State University (May 5), ITAM Finance Conference (Mexico City, June 3-4).
Growing Up Without Finance. Boulder Summer Conference on Consumer Financial Decision Making* (Boulder, May 22-24), ITAM Finance Conference* (Mexico City, June 3-4), Edinburgh Conference on Legal Institutions and Finance (Edinburgh, June 13); Society for Institutional and Organizational Economics* (Paris, June 15-17), IBEFA Summer Meeting* (Portland, June 29-July 3), European Finance Association (Oslo, August 17-20)
- I am coordinating the CU-Boulder Finance Division Seminar series this academic year.
- I am teaching one section of undergraduate Investments and Portfolio Management, and one section of PhD-level Empirical Methods in Finance.
- My paper Law and Finance Matter was presented at the 2016 AFA meetings in San Francisco, CA.
- I discussed a paper, Decentralization and Growth in Bad Times (by Aghion, Bloom, Lucking, Sadun, and Van Reenen) at the 2016 ASSA meetings (slides).
- My paper Law and Finance Matter was accepted for publication at The Review of Financial Studies.
- My paper Leverage and Strategic Preemption was accepted for publication at The Journal of Financial Economics.
- My paper Courting Economic Development was accepted for publication in the Papers and Proceedings of the World Bank Economic Review.
- My paper Why Don't We Agree? was presented at the NBER Behavioral Finance Spring Meetings.
- I presented my paper When Saving Is Gambling at the Spring Meeting of the Chicago Quantitative Alliance.
- My paper A Text-Based Analysis of Corporate Innovation was presented by a co-author at the Front Range Finance Seminar (Denver, CO, April 15).
- My paper Growing Up Without Finance was presented by a co-author at University of Florida, University of Georgia, and Ohio State University.
- I presented When Saving is Gambling at the Northern Finance Association Conference (Lake Louise, Alberta; Sep 18-20), at the University of Manitoba (Winnipeg, Manitoba; Nov 2), and at the 8th Annual FTC Microeconomics Conference (Washington, DC; Nov 12-13).
- I presented Endogenous Matching, Underwriter Reputation, and the Underpricing of IPOs at Cass Business School (London, England; Sep 30), at University of Ottawa (Ottawa, Canada; Nov 3), and at University of Maryland (College Park, MD; Nov 11).
- My paper Law and Finance Matter was awarded Best Paper in Financial Markets and Institutions at the 2015 Financial Management Association Conference in Orlando, Florida.
- My paper When Saving is Gambling was presented at the Financial Research Association Conference in Las Vegas, Nevada (Dec 12-13). An early idea The Anatomy of Financial Frictions was also presented by a co-author.
- A conference I co-organized, The Colorado Finance Summit, was held on December 16-18 in Vail, Colorado.
- I taught a section of Quantitative Methods (MSBC 5030) and a section of Managerial Economics (MSBC 5015) at University of Colorado - Boulder as part of our new MS in Finance program.
- My paper The Determinants of Bank Mergers was accepted for publication at Management Science.
- I presented When Saving is Gambling at the Israel Behavioral Finance Conference (Tel Aviv, Israel; May 19-20).
- I presented Law and Finance Matter at the 2015 FIRS Conference (Reykjavik, Iceland; May 24-27)
- I presented When Saving is Gambling at the Conference on Consumer Financial Decision Making (Boulder, CO; May 31-June 2).
- I presented Endogenous Matching, Underwriter Reputation, and the Underpricing of IPOs at the London Business School Summer Finance Symposium (London, England; June 15-16).
- My paper Law and Finance Matter was presented by a co-author at the 2015 Annual Banking Conference on Development Economics (ABCDE; Mexico City; June 15-16).
- My paper Law and Finance Matter was presented by a co-author at the San Francisco Fed Day Ahead Conference* (June 26).
- My paper Law and Finance Matter was presented by a co-author at the NBER Summer Institute on Development of the American Economy (July 6-9).
- I presented When Saving is Gambling at the NBER Summer Institute Workshop on Household Finance (Cambridge, MA; July 17-18).
- I presented When Saving is Gambling at the UBC Summer Conference (Vancouver, British Columbia; July 30-Aug 1), and at the Oregon Summer Conference (Eugene, Oregon; Aug 2-4).
- I presented When Saving is Gambling at the Helsinki Finance Summit (Helsinki, Finland; Aug 17-18), and at the European Finance Association Conference (Vienna, Austria; Aug 19-22).